Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"Love is Sweet" and a bloghoppin Frenzy

"Love is Sweet"
A close friend recently asked me to create a sign for the candy bar at her wedding reception.  The wedding colors are lavender & gray, and the decor has a bit of a vintage tone; the tags that will be tied around each jar are printed in black ink on a cream cardstock, using a template from Martha Stewart weddings.  So... off I went!

1. I started out with a 10"x3" board, painted with my favorite chocolate brown basecoat and sanded down a bit around the edges & corners. I created a larger version of the Martha Stewart template, laid it on top of the board, and etched the design in.  And then... the painting began. (It's definitely a challenge to mix paint and achieve the perfect color!)
2. After painting the lavender "label shape", I added a thin black border around it for some definition.  I later sanded the painted design to help blend in the sharp edges of the black border and create a slighly aged look.
3. Text came next! Painted in Ceramcoat Antique White, classic Times New Roman Font.
4. I still wasn't quite feeling the sharp, black borders - so I added small antique white dots all around the frame using the plastic rounded end of my paintbrush.
5. Small floral accents with lavender dots were added to the corners, to mimic the candy jar label template and help pull everything together.
6. What would a Stephanie sign be without whirly-gigs?  I twisted cream and black wire around my paintbrush handle a bazillion times, twisted some heart shapes into the mix, drilled a hole and stuck them through and out the back of the sign, to ensure they're secure.  My friend can tie ribbon into the wire, or if she doesn't like the wiring, can replace it with a small ribbon/bow that compliments the rest of her decor - I've kind of left that up to her! 
¡Es completo!




Finally... it's a Tuesday full of bloghops, so click the buttons below to head over to the host sites, get the rules, play along, and meet some new bloggers! 
Tuesday Tag-Along
If you're stopping by from Tuesday Tagalong, Follow me back Tuesday, or Tuesday Following,
welcome and thanks for visiting
I love new followers, and I love following your blogs, too!

post signature

19 comments:

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Your sign is beautiful! And what a great idea to have a candy bar at the wedding!

Kimberly said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower from TTA! Your signs are beautiful! I look forward to seeing more.

http://dearheartdesigns.blogspot.com

Emily said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! I'm now following you, too! :)

Brittany said...

This is sooo cute! I love it! I want a candy bar at my wedding if I ever get married! :))) I've been making signs recently too. I'll have to blog about them!

LeAnn said...

I am a new follower from Tuesday Following!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am a new follower! I hope you'll follow me back and check out my awesomegiveaways! Right now I am giving away a $200 Hair Straightener!

Kim
Chubby Cheeks Thinks

Tina L. Hook said...

Very cute. The best part: she can repurpose the sign into her home decor later. Fabulous. Good job on the whirly-gigs.

Aimee said...

OMG that is too sweet and beautiful and I love it. So we are moving sometime in oct.nov so I have to speak with Kevin about getting a kick ass sign for our new place. But since we arent married we cant do a last name,. I am going to want something sport related. Ill let you know. Ill check out your etsy for ideas.

:)

Bloggy Blog Designz said...

Newest Follower from FMBT! I wish I was more talented in the crafty department, cuz that is super cute!

JoJo said...

Following you back :-)

Great sign, very crafty!

Unknown said...

I'm a new follower from Follow Me Back Tuesday.
I hope you'll come check me out at PS Mom Reviews and follow me too!
I have fun giveaways going on now, including one for an $80 GC to CSNstores.com!

Brittany Ann said...

What a great sign! I bet it works perfectly with her wedding colors!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That looks so great! You did such a good job!

Katie | FashionFrugality.com said...

Love this sign! I love the idea of this at a candy bar!

Found you by way of the Tuesday Tag A Long! :)
kkondek at gmail.com

Kerri said...

A candy bar?! Man I wish I could come to that wedding! What a great friend you are. LOVE the sign!

Kerri said...

Ooops, forgot to tell you...I have a blog award for you over at my blog today!

Erin Wallace said...

Your newest follow from Tuesday Follows. Hope to see you at Dropped Stitches!

xo Erin
droppedstitches72.blogspot.com

Brianna! said...

This is super cute
thanks for sharing
xoxo
bB

Diana said...

LOVE this sign! Did you find the template you started with at Martha Stewart's website? Your step by step instructions seem easy enough that I'd try it myself. =)