Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Fiestaware FAN-A-TIC

I think it's time that I reveal one of my guiltiest pleasures (#1 probably being Bath and Body Works products... which i have a stupid ridiculous surplus of)...


FIESTAWARE.

My mother and I are both huge collectors of the colorful dinnerware made in West Virginia.  The Homer Laughlin China Company has been around for decades, producing the most beautiful shades of the funnest dishes I have ever seen/used.  She and I simply CANNOT get enough! We love ALL of the colors - our collections are a mixture of blues, reds, yellows, greens... oranges, purples, pinks, browns, ivory...  I do love how some of my friends have chosen a select combination of their favorite colors, which always looks so classy and beautiful on a dining table.  I can't bring myself to choose just a few - I MUST have at least one piece of the newest colors when they're released!  


Above Photo:  Where it all began - my bridal shower in 2006 

Mom and I typically hit up the Fiestaware Outlet, "Everything Fiesta", located in Flatwoods, WV, twice per year. (If we went more often than that, we would surely have to file bankruptcy. Or sell ourselves on the streets of Flatwoods so we can go back and get the set of mixing bowls in the newest color, "Paprika". If it comes to that... ya know... i might be willing.)  One of the greatest things about the outlet is the "seconds" room - full of Fiestaware that was slightly damaged at the factory.  It's 90% off, and honestly, it's super easy to find perfect pieces in the mix - the Fiesta logo might be slightly off center on the bottom of a plate, or there may be a teeny tiny nick that you can feel but not see, but it's the best place on earth to pick up a few extra place settings, or get started on your collection if you're a Fiesta newbie.


Collecting Fiestaware is a passion for both my mother and I, and something I'm so glad we get to share with each other.  No matter the physical distance between us, we will always shop together and collect together. 


Currently, my mom is storing away the special NCAA Marshall University Fiestaware for me, until my husband and I relocate to a bigger place and settle down next year. I have tumblers, dinner and luncheon plates, serving dishes, and coffee mugs, ready to place in the perfect china cabinet - which I have yet to find.  We're also looking forward to picking up a couple pieces of Paprika to add to our collections later this summer!


Ahh... Fiestaware..  One of my favorite things, ever.  Add a batch of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies to a Shamrock green Fiestaware platter, and I'm one happy girl!

post signature

14 comments:

HBrummett said...

hello! Thanks for stopping by! I am now following your blog. I look forward t oreading more!

Brittany said...

HOW great!! I've never seen this before! I love it, I'll have to check this out!

Amanda said...

I love Fiesta!!! I'm a Fireking/Anchor Hocking collector myself but if I found a good deal on some Fiesta I would totally be on it!

Glad to have found another Ohio blogger! I'm following you now :)

Moments and Impressions said...

I have a few pieces of fiesta and I love it... I am a thrift store collector of bright and sunny dishes - and I have been lucky to snag a few pieces of fiesta for my mix. IO love the look of matched colors too - on someone elses table! There are too many colors for me to pick just one.

Jess said...

oh, i'm so jealous!! i wanted to register (and even buy my own) fiestaware but my now husband firmly said no, that he didn't like it AT ALL (if that isn't a test of true love for me i'm not sure what it is) so I just googly eye the plates at macy's....

Lisa said...

I LOVE Fiestaware too! My sister started collecting vintage pieces from antique stores over 10 years ago and we'd always be on the hunt for pieces to add to her collection. I don't have any because we have no room, but hopefully one day we can start a collection as well. The design is so simple and beautiful and the colors so, well, festive! They definitely add something special to even the most regular meal!

Stopping by from SITS! Have a great day!

Tina L. Hook said...

Very cute. I can understand the appeal. Fiestaware is super cute and very collectible. I could see myself putting out a beautiful spread in these colorful containers.

Tina L. Hook said...

Ps Stopping by from mama Kat's.

Ms. Emmy N said...

I have never heard of Fiestaware, but I love colors.. I am gonna have to see if there is an "everything fiesta" store near me!!

Kerri said...

Fiesta wear looks so FUN! How cool that you and your mom both collect it together! Does your mom live far from you? I live about 8 hrs from my family...so I know what that's like!

Ashley said...

Ooh! Pretty stuff! I gave your blog an award! Check out mine for info!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I just started getting Fiesta stuff and I LOVE IT! I must get to that seconds room!

- - Sheryl - - said...

Hello - I stopped by from New Friend Friday.

Your pound cake below looks yummy!

Kerri said...

Just noticed you live in Athens. I am from Mansfield. I live in PA now (since graduating college) but all of my family still lives in good old Mansfield.
Have a great weekend!