Friday, July 16, 2010

Christmas In July and Friday Fives!

Big things are poppin' today -I'm linking up at several Friday Blog Hops, it's a Christmas in July Link Party over @ The Answer is Chocolate, and it's also Friday Fives w/Beth @ Just Me and My Life! I'm attempting to combine everything today, so here goes:


Friday Fives Christmas Edition:
Five things you do to relax, de-stress, maintain your composure, or just enjoy doing for yourself (During the Holiday Season!):
1. Listen to Holiday music on my iPod, earbuds in, while I paint or sketch and nosh on candycanes.
2. Take a hot shower using Bath & Body Works Vanilla Bean Noel Shower Gel
3. Curl up on the couch and enjoy a big fat cup of Dark Chocolate Hot Cocoa in my  favorite Marshall Mug, or a nice TALLE Starbucks Hot Chocolate if I'm out and about shopping.
4. Ditch work a little early, pick up some Applebees Boneless Buffalo Wings to go, hide out at home and watch a cheesy Christmas movie (I did this a couple times during the past holiday season, and it was AWESOME.)
5. Watch basketball and wrap presents with my husband after a long, crazy day of Christmas shopping (the wrapping is a de-stresser... the shopping, however, IS NOT!)



And now, for those stopping by from the Christmas in July Open House Link Party: my favorite, quickest and easiest, richest, prettiest, chocolatey-est treat to make during the Holidays - OREO TRUFFLES
Thousands of girls make them.  Thousands of girls eat them.  I do both.

Oreo Truffles

1 pack Oreos (use all but 8 or 9 cookies)
2 boxes (8 squares ea.) Baker's Semi-sweet melting chocolate
1 pkg (8 oz) Phili Cream Cheese

Toss Oreos in the blender and crush until fine; mix crushed Oreos with cream cheese in a large mixing bowl (this takes a while to stir, but don't give up! Mix until everything is a nice big ball of mush. Don't use a blender - It messes up the texture.)
Melt chocolate in the Microwave - only melt around 8 squares each time. I like to use a small to medium sized ceramic bowl (like Fiestaware), it heats evenly. Take chocolate out a few times, and stir several times to promote melting. Do not cook the chocolate!
Roll Oreo/cream cheese mixture into 1" balls (or use one of those nifty cookie-dough scoops, like this one from Crate&Barrel: http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=744&f=10578 )
Dip into melted chocolate, and coat entirely. Place on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper, sprinkle on some pretty decorative sugars and other fun thingies, then place in the fridge until the chocolate coating sets - the colder they are, the better they are! They literally melt in your mouth but are extremely rich, so eat with caution. Makes a ridiculous amount (typically around 45 truffles.)
I like to play with the recipe a little - sometimes, I'll substitute chocolate oreos with Golden (vanilla) oreos, and use White (vanilla) chips instead of melting chocolate for those who aren't addicted to chocolate. Or, use different flavors of melting chocolate for the outer coating. Let your creative foodie side go crazy!
*These look great arranged inside mini cupcake liners and placed in a cute tin - delicious gift idea!

Be sure to check out both links below for some Friday Fun!

Christmas in July Open House


Just Me and My Life
Friday Fives @ Just me and my life



And finally, I would like to Welcome all of those stopping in from the Friday Blog Hops!  I hope you check out some of my posts and decide to stay a little while! 

Happy FRIDAY!

post signature

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I came over from NFF. I really enjoyed looking around your blog :) I really enjoyed reading your different post, especially the Frappe comparison - I am such a coffee addict ;) - and the Bath and Bodyworks post!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend,
Kate

daniii♥ said...

Oh em gee. Those truffles look & sound so good.

(visiting from nff)

Brianna! said...

mmmm OREO anything:)
heartwarming
xoxox
bB

Sherrie said...

I have made those oreo truffles and they are delicious! I love Christmas in July. :)

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...

Hey! I'm here from NFF and I have to laugh at the similarities in our lives! My DH and I met at college in Ohio, but right after marriage we moved to Huntington for him to go to Marshall for his master's. We lived there for one year and I taught music at Fairland (across the river in Proctorville). Nice to meet you - I'm your newest follower! :)

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Be still my heart! I am SO making those and I'm not waiting for Christmas! Thanks so much for linking up!

Michelle L. said...

Ooh, yum. This sounds so easy, even I might be able to make them. Great idea for a gift! (Found you on The Answer is Choc.)

Unknown said...

1. Those oreo truffles look delish.

2. Oh, how you made me long for Christmas! (which starts around September in our house!)

Brittany said...

ohhh my I AM CRAVING CHOOLATE NOW! Thankyouverymuch!!

can you believe christmas is only six months away?! thats sooo crazy!

baygirl32 said...

Here from Friday Follow... those truffles look amazing!

http://www.baygirl32.blogspot.com/

Mrs. D said...

Oreo truffles are the best! I love making them with red and green sprinkles during the holidays. Great de-stress list-- hot chocolate is the best!

Brittany Ann said...

Oreo truffles are the best! So rich and decadent, but I could eat a billion of them!

Ms Bingles Vintage Christmas said...

Sounds delicious!
Thank you for sharing!
Leticia

Yenta Mary said...

Oh, those are GORGEOUS!!! Found 'em on the Holiday link-up ... :)

foodfloozie.blogspot.com

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Mmmm those truffles look good!

Anonymous said...

OMG! Steph, How creative is that. You made oreo cookie truffels and yikes do they look good!! I'm #22 on the Christmas in July Link Party where I found your blog and I'm new your newest follower with pleasure. You understand deserts! I'd like it if you'd follow me too so we can be blogging buddies. This is a wonderful share, thanks!

Haupi
http://hauplight.blogspot.com/

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Found your post through the Christmas linky party. These look amazing. I can't wait to make them.