Thursday, July 29, 2010

I'll have a Deep-Fried Buckeye, please!

Chocolate Covered Bacon?  Seriously?!?
Ohio State Fair at dusk

When Monica Day, NBC4i Columbus news anchor described the disgusting yet "flavorful" sounding Ohio state fair treat on air this morning, I wanted to try it! "They put a cherry on top", she said, describing her chocolate covered bacon eating experience.  "I had chocolate all over myself, it looked like i mauled the bacon!" Somehow, hearing the beautiful former miss Ohio describe what most would consider a disgusting feast sounded kind of appealing to me.
     Maybe I'm way out of the loop and everyone has tried or has at least heard of chocolate covered bacon. I'm simply not a fair-goer, and part of that has to do with not having kids, I'm sure - but fair food definitely interests me!  Sadly, I'm not brave enough to try any of it. My sugar loving self has never had the deep fried twinkie. Can you believe that? Nope, never.  No deep fried Oreos, either.  Am I missing out?  I'm betting that i probably am!
     The fair website actually has a link to a "fair food finder", so I hit that up after hearing Miss Day's story.  I couldn't believe some of the random fair treats I saw! (and forgive me if I seem ignorant - I haven't been to a fair anywhere in a decade!):
-Frozen Bananas (umm.. eww? I'm guessing?)
-Chocolate covered frozen cheesecake on a stick (YUM)
-Deep Fried everything: candy bars, cookie dough, Captain Crunch, Smores, Fudge, Buckeyes, Peanut Butter Fluff, Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches

Deep Fried Fudge?  Deep Fried PB & J?  I don't know about those two, but I would definitely be up for trying the Deep Fried Buckeye, Captain Crunch, and Smores!

Deep Fried Buckeyes

I tend to shy away from deep fried food a little (due to a strangely high cholesterol problem), but that doesn't mean I don't love it!  Please, let me know if i'm missing out on any of these treats. I'll be missing the OS Fair b/c of my beach trip, but lucky for me, the Athens County Fair starts the day I return to town. If my readers think any of this stuff is really a must try, it would be a long shot but maybe i'll try hunting it down at Athens Co. Fair!



post signature

15 comments:

Carissa said...

I want to try the chocolate covered bacon...although it sounds pretty gross I have heard that its EXCELLENT...here in Cleveland Mally's Chocolates sells it and everyone talks about how good it is.

Leah said...

Oh mi, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Buckeyes...so I'm sure they are even more delicious deep fried! I have a recipie to make my own, which I have yet to try...but the person who gave it to me makes them and they are to die for!

Katie said...

Ummmm... Chocolate covered frozen cheesecake on a stick?? Yes please. That sounds so good. :)

Amanda said...

I had the Buckeyes last year and let me tell you it was an experience I cannot even explain with words.

You feel like a fatty for eating it but then afterward its like, did I just do that?!? It was soooo amazing, messy and good!

We're off to the Ohio State Fair on Sunday I'll let you know if we try anything amazing!

Mariam Hakim said...

I can't imagine how it must've tasted! First time i heard of chocolate covered bacon

Kerri said...

We love buckeyes (I'm from Ohio) but never had them fried....wow!
I have had the fried oreos and yes...you are missing out! Chocolate covered bacon....two great tastes...but not sure about them together? But I'm a foodie and would try (almost) anything!

cfoxes33 said...

Oh you are missing it! Deep Fried Twinkies are pretty good. I have heard of the chocolate covered bacon, but, mmm deep fried buckeyes? That's new and interesting.

Ms. Emmy N said...

Oh my goodness! Ick! I didn't even know such a thing exsisted.. I am not into the deep fried thing, but I definitely don't think you are missing out! Buckeyes are perfectly delicious just as they are :) Enjoy the beach!

Kelly said...

Mmmm, sounds good to me!! ;-) The Minnesota State Fair is TWO weeks long and it is craziness. The fried food is out of this world-- and their thing is that everything "has" to be on A STICK! ;-) Last year the grossest thing I tried was a "pig cheek" I took the tiniest bite and could bare to ask if it really WAS a cheek. Gross!!

Krissy said...

I actually had my first deep fried oreo a few months ago at a carnival and I made my own last week!! They are so delicious. I've also had fried ice cream and frozen bananas. :) They're strange sounding...but are delicious.

I know I'm late, but I'm following from Tuesday Tag Along! :) I hope you can visit us back and follow as well!!

http://theartsymom.tk

this free bird said...

The Orange County fair is on down here and in the 8 or so years I've lived in SoCal I've never gone...but I've always wanted to try deep-fried oreos. They call out to me in the night. You have awakened the voices!! hehe

I think frozen bananas could be good if they were dipped in chocolate, no?

Okay, what is a buckeye?? That looks amazing! But chocolate covered bacon? I'm conflicted.

So much food to contemplate!!

xoxo,
carrie

Diana said...

Deep Fried Buckeyes??? Sounds SO Sinful! But oh so yummy sounding too!!

P.S. got my sign today - ty ty ty! gonna get a pic and show it off in a post this weekend. I LOVE IT!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my gosh! I want all of that food now!!!!

Mariam Hakim said...

Thanks again for stopping by, I tagged you in my 8 questions post! :) x

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Those all sound amazing.

The candy store in my parent's town sells delish frozen chocolate dipped bananas and they are perfect on a hot day!