Sunday, July 25, 2010

Appalachian Exploitation in the Media (Part 2)

Dateline NBC's special, "America Now: Friends and Neighbors" aired tonight; Ann Curry reported on the effects the recession has had on Southeastern Ohio.  I feel that the story was presented tastefully, in that the people weren't portrayed as stupid, ignorant and poor (like many reports that are often done in appalachia) - they were portrayed as poor and struggling, but trying to make it somehow - much like many others in rural america. 

I was especially intrigued by Lisa Roberts, director of Friends and Neighbors Food Pantry - a lady who, despite her own personal/economic hardships, spends her days working hard to provide food for thousands of residents in the S.E. Ohio area.

Reading or watching news stories like this make me:
1) feel very sad
2) want to do something to help, and
3) feel stupid for worrying about the amount of money I spent at Yankee Candle this weekend - seriously, what the heck?  Where are my priorities?

I understand that these feelings are exactly what NBC wants you to experience when watching the program.

Trying not to sound preachy here, but everyone has their preachy moments: it's important to step back, take a look at everything you have,  and be grateful.  and I'm one to talk - this is definitely something I need to keep working on!

On a positive note, I hope everyone had a great weekend!  I'm looking forward to starting a new workweek, filled with lots of fun posts in between office hours! 

post signature

2 comments:

Tina L. Hook said...

Gratitude is the first step towards happiness.

Thank you for your preachy moment. It was a good reminder.

Foundation Channel said...

This was lovely to reaad