Thursday, August 19, 2010

My childhood obsessions

Back in the early 90's, my cute little french braided, teased-banged, rosy cheeked, purple stirrup pant-wearing self was obsessed with the following stuff:

Lisa Frank (not surprising):
My favorite was Panda Painter, I was an "official member" (whatever that meant) of the Lisa Frank Club, and I totally wish I still had some Lisa Frank stationery now! I can still taste the lemon fruit dip that was a featured recipe in an issue of the Lisa Frank newsletter (confectionary sugar, lemon juice, plain yogurt, i made it every day!) I remember the $50 rainbow-striped sweater that I obsessed over when LF came out with a clothing line. Ohhh... Lisa Frank. How I miss you!



Twinkies (a little strange for me, but I hadn't made it into the Chocolate phase yet):
I couldn't stop eating these things!  It all came to an abrupt end, though, when the asbestos-laced Twinkie recall hit the news.  That's when I first learned how inconvenient food recalls can be!

Beavis & Butthead (strange obsession for a cute little girl with french braided hair):
I watched the show religiously. "Buuut it's a cartooooon!" I would say to my friends' parents, who disapproved of the show and were probably terrified of me, the straight A student who seemed like the perfect influence but really destroyed their childrens' lives by introducing them to the ultra-vulgar animated series.  My mom  let me watch it, but didn't really like it at all - she disliked it enough to make me feel guilty about what I was doing. Sometimes I would sneak off to grandma's house to watch it, so mom wouldn't have to hear the never-ended "uhhh huh huh huh"'s and all of the craps, asses, bungholes, and cornholios.  Sidenote: this past summer, I finally sold my copy of "Beavis and Butthead Do America" at a yardsale I had back in my hometown.  One of my old friends stopped by, saw it on sale for $2, and almost cried - and died.  She couldn't believe I was parting with it! Heh Heh-Heh

Meatloaf (the singer, not the food - and this is the strangest obsession of all!)
"I Would Do Anything For Love" was my favorite song in 4th grade.  My dad was a Meatloaf fan, I thought my dad was cool, so I became a Meatloaf fan, too.  I still know all of the lyrics to every track on the Bat Out of Hell II album.  I'll never forget the MTV Top 20 Video Countdown back in those days - it was always a battle between Dr. Dre's "Let Me Ride", Salt-n-Pepa's "Shoop", Aerosmith's "Crazy", and Meatloaf's 7 minute long video, for the #1 spot.  Man, whatever happened to music videos actually being aired on MTV?




A special thanks to the amazing Mama Kat for her awesome weekly writing prompts! Head over to Mama Kat's Losin it to get rid of writer's block! She is every blogger's knight in shining polka dots!

post signature

15 comments:

nomo wino daph said...

LOL, I feel old!! Although I am only 37 BUT...

I love your new header:)

Hope your day is a great one honey!!

xo

Amanda said...

I loved lisa frank!!!!! Trapper keepers, folders, pencils, velvet coloring posters - girl I had it all!!!!

Mrs.Mayhem said...

It's so fun to remember all of our old loves, isn't it??

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I was obsessed with the lisa frank Lips. Remember that one. It was just a huge set of red lips!

Faith said...

i was in love with Twinkies too!!! loved them! now i can't eat them at all!

Faith said...

p.s. i love your new header! too cute!

Brittany Ann said...

Oh, Lisa Frank! All those overpriced, brightly colored school supplies! I had a Trapper Keeper with a dog decked out in bright jewelry on it! I miss those days!

Stacey @ Chasing Cloud 9 said...

Ah, Beavis and Butthead...brings back memories. My boyfriend at the time wanted to watch it ALL the time!

Sarah said...

I nearly bought a Lisa Frank pencil holder for school this year because it was almost too cute to leave!!! I loved Lisa Frank too!!! I remember going to see "Beavis & Butthead Do America" and my friend and I were the only ones over 13 in the theater!!! LOL

Aimee said...

LOL listening to meatloaf and watching Beavis & Butthead. Im sure your parents were super worried about you...

O Lisa Frank. I loved it. I never had enough stationary and other school supplies to make me happy enough

Heather said...

OMIGOSH, I know feel that we should have been sisters! I loved Lisa Frank, Beavis & Butthead (still do, sadly), and that sorta horrendous Meat Loaf song...the Twinkies, well I've never liked those!

Wow...now I feel old!

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

I loved Lisa Frank too! I may still have a few of her erasers hanging out in my desk drawer.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

You just brought back so many memories of Lisa Frank. That's hysterical, I was beyond obsessed!!

Emily said...

Loved your obsessions! Feeling old too at age 40!

Anonymous said...

I would like to exchange links with your site snyder1418.blogspot.com
Is this possible?