Thursday, December 2, 2010

25 Days of Christmas and Mom's Pitchforks

Join in the Fun!

On the 4th day of the 25 Days of Christmas, we're blogging about movies!
 I have to admit, I'm not a big Christmas-themed movie watcher.  I love them, but hardly ever take a time out to enjoy watching one during the holiday season.  The movies I tend to gravitate toward this time of year "take me back" a decade or two. Not all of them are Christmas themed, but still carry that holiday-cozyish spirit; many of them were my favorites as a kid, and I would spend my entire holiday break(s) watching them over and over.  My Christmastime faves:




And of course, who can forget Shrek?!?

I was a late Shrek bloomer; I didn't watch any of them until after the Third came out on DVD! I totally jumped aboard the bandwagon when I received the Shrek boxed set of three as a Christmas present in 2007; I watched all of them in just a couple of days. I'm totally hooked. And I totally love Gingy the gingerbread man.

What are your favorite Christmas movies? Er, movies that you like to watch around Christmastime, if you're a weirdo like me? Blog about it and join up at Star & Jmo's 25 Days of Christmas!

Earlier in the week, I mentioned that I got a chance to sneak around my mom's West Virginia home and take a few pics of her decor while I was visiting for Turkey Day. I must share her style, because it's chic-country-cozy. She pulls it off, and with lots of effort.  You can't just slap a barn star on the wall and call it "country" - you've gotta be like my mom, put lots of thought into it, and search high and low for new pieces to add here and there: 

Of course she has the collegiate flags! (This pic was taken earlier in the fall.)

The backyard: It's spitting snow! The swing was put up for winter.
My favorite part is the fire pit.

Mom's had this for years - it's my favorite piece of wall decor! And appropriate - the room it's hanging in is definitely a cat nap cozy kind of room. 


You know what they say: "A house is not a home without a pitchfork".
Kitchen pic #1


I know it's dark, but dim lights are a big thing at mom's house.
So are antique popcorn poppers! (Be Merry!)




You know... the necessities. TV, CD player, Spice rack, Peppermints.


Currently burning: Cranberry Woods Candle by Slatkin & Co.


One of my favorite items - the Grand Central Station clock!


You can write on the rooster with chalk! Cool!
There are many a skinny cabinet in mom's home - in just about every corner :)


Fiestaware and a pitchfork! Goes together like a charm, who would have thought?


It's not uncommon to find Mac sleeping in the bathroom -
or anywhere else, for that matter!


The gorgeous tree - which she is planning to replace with a tall, "skinny" tree next year. Of course, she says that every year - for like, the past five years.

Now that you've taken a little tour of mom's West Virginia home, it's time to relax in at the "Cat Nap Inn".

As you can see, it's impossible to not feel cozy when visiting this home in the mountains of central West Virginia.  I spend most of my "visiting" time in a sleepy, lazy daze! And the magic that happens in the kitchen?  Let's just say that mom's brownies keep me coming back to WV. 

post signature

10 comments:

Ashley said...

The pitchfork is hilarious! Love the tree!

star said...

I love The Wizard of Oz! I've never watched your other faves though! I do like Shrek 1 and 2! Thanks for playing, hsve a great day!

Rebekah said...

Love your mom's house! Especially the pitchforks. And I love that she wants a skinny tree. Too funny!

A Christmas Story is my fav but it's been years since I've seen Milo and Otis!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love your mom's tree! I also love the fact that she's sporting the WVU and MU flags!!!

ty said...

I call The Wizard of Oz a holiday movie, too ... it comes on during Thanksgiving, so it totally counts.

And I'm obsessed with your Mom's house. I want to go in and take a nap.

Kerri said...

YOu're right...your mom's house is warm and cozy! Love the creek in the backyard...my husband would be the happiest man ever if that was our backyard!

Faith said...

i love your mom's house! it def. does feel warm and i'm not even in it!

i have that Faith, Family, Friends frame in my kitchen ... maybe i'm country, chic?! hehe.

her Christmas tree is gorgeous too!

Heather said...

You have just taken me back with the Milo and Otis movie, I haven't seen it in ages!!

Oh yeah, I received a lovely Christmas card in the mail today =). Thanks doll!

Mrs. Mootz said...

The Wizard of Oz is a great all year round movie!

Katie said...

My favorite holiday movie is Love Actually. :) Hey, thanks for visiting my blog for my SITS day today!