Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Birthday Billboard #1's

In honor of my 27th birthday that is TOMORROW, I'm digging up some Billboard archives and listing the 27 songs that were #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 on my birthday, from the years 1983 thru 2010. 

Do you remember these?

1983 - "Islands in the Stream" - Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton
1984 - "Caribbean Queen (No More Love on the Run)" - Billy Ocean
1985 - "Part-time Lover" - Stevie Wonder
1986 - "True Colors" - Cyndi Lauper

1987 - "I Think we're Alone Now" - Tiffany
1988 - "Kokomo" - the Beach Boys
1989 - "Listen to your Heart" - Roxette
1990 - "Ice Ice Baby" - Vanilla Ice

1991 - "Cream" - Prince & the New Power Generation
1992 - "End of the Road" - Boyz II Men
1993 - "I'd Do Anything for Love (but I Won't do That)" - Meatloaf
1994 - "I'll Make Love to You" - Boyz II Men

1995 - "Fantasy" - Mariah Carey
1996 - "No Diggity" - Blackstreet feat. Dr. Dre
1997 - "Candle in the Wind" - Elton John
1998 - "The First Night" - Monica
1999 - "Smooth" - Santana feat. Rob Thomas
2000 - "Come on Over" - Christina Aguilera

2001 - "Family Affair" - Mary J Blige

2002 - "Lose Yourself" - Eminem
2003 - "Baby Boy" - Beyonce feat. Sean Paul
2004 - "My Boo" - Usher & Alicia Keyes
2005 - "Gold Digger" - Kanye West feat. Jamie Foxx
2006 - "My Love" - Justin Timberlake feat. T.I.
2007 - "Crank That (Soulja Boy)" - Soulja Boy Tell 'em
2008 - "Whatever You Like" - T.I.
2009 - "Fireflies" - Owl City

and... this year, the #1 Billboard Hot 100 song is...
2010 - "Like a G6" - Far East Movement -
which is totally disappointing...(thanks a LOT for the horrible birthday song, BILLBOARD!) I even stuck this on my iPod in an effort to try to "feel its rhythm", or whatever, but IT AIN'T HAPPENIN'.  Not even on the treadmill. Which is surprising, because almost anything can keep me moving on the treadmill. This song makes me cringe - worse than Cream by Prince & the NPG.

My dear husband, when you read this, I know you're going to want to listen to "Like a G6" and dissect the rhetorical pedagogy that is used in the lyrics. Er.. something. But please... PLEASE spare your wife the mortification. It's horrible! I am ashamed! Kesha is WAY better, just take my word for it!!!

I can honestly say that I enjoy listening to just about every song on my list of birthday #1's... but the top three would have to be Fantasy by miss Mariah, Smooth because I love Rob Thomas a ton and a half, and Gold Digger - not because I can relate or anything, but because I love Kanye West's music!

Last night my hubs and I watched Woody Allen's "You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger" at the small theatre in town.  Tonight, we're going to freeze our faces off at the last Ohio Bobcat home football game of the season.  Which will be the last Ohio Bobcat football game I ever attend at Peden Stadium in Athens. I already predict that I will be a little emotional when the game is over! When I moved to Athens, I was a die-hard MARSHALL THUNDERING HERD fan that wanted absolutely nothing to do with the Bobcats.  I gave them a chance.  And now, I love 'em.  I'm gonna miss them!  GO CATS!

I hope you all are having a wild and wonderful Friday-eve. Join me on my Birthday tomorrow - I have an extra special post planned, and I definitely want you to stop by!

post signature

12 comments:

Kerri said...

Ahhhh good songs... especially before 2000! Well, sadly after 2000 I don't recognize any of those songs!

Rebekah said...

Ha, this made me laugh so much! Can't wait to see what you have posted for tomorrow!

Ashley said...

Haha love your list! Some great songs and some terrible songs! Good stuff!

Jeska said...

Happy early Birthday! Have fun tonight!

Lindsay @ la vita dolce said...

omg boys 2 men ill make love to you ahaha...i heard that the other day. wow that was so long ago.
and kokomo :) i love love that song :) cute post!!

Amanda said...

"No Diggity" is the song that my cousins played for me to teach me how to bob my head and dance to rap music. I thought they were really cool because they knew ghetto music, and they had perms.

Also, still love me some Christina and Mariah!

Jenny Strickland said...

I remember all of those songs and love them! I don't know the one from 2010 though!

Happy early birthday!

Young and Fabulous said...

what a creative post idea!! LOVE IT and love some of those songs!!

have an amazing birthday hun!

xoxo follow me!

Brittany said...

Hi! I'm your newest follower...also from Ohio!

Stacey @ Chasing Cloud 9 said...

I remember ALL of those songs! Great list :) My kids sing the G6 song "like a cheese stick". lol

Happy early birthday!

nomo wino daph said...

OH LAWDY, I feel old reading those, LOL!!

Happy Birthday Doll!

XOXO

mypixieblog said...

LOL, this made me laugh so hard. Sadly, there's definitely a steady decline in the quality of music in the last few years. Oh well. Ice Ice Baby is on the list so that's all sorts of awesome :)