Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm Thankful for... (Day 3)

the fam.
My mom, my brother, my step-dad, my in-laws... I'm thankful for all of 'em!

When I married my husband, I got a couple of extra cool grandparents - L & J are pretty awesome and make an extra special effort to keep up with all the grandkids' whereabouts - which is pretty much almost impossible these days. They are loving, caring, and FUNNY. My father-in-law, mother-in-law, and sassy-sis-in-law are just plain GREAT.  They always have my back - they're a protective group of peeps that support, spoil, love, and care to no end. And they love the Marshall Thundering Herd, too! My F-in-L and M-in-L both serve their local community by volunteering a crap ton for various organizations, festivals, and local schools.  My sass-in-law goes to Marshall - yes, she carried on the tradition!  She's super mega smarter than me, but I still love her. I think we all have a silent agreement that she's definitely the genius of the family. 

My mom and step-dad are the most gentle people I know. Step-Dad loves college football, and is a huge Nebraska fan (of course, he roots for Marshall and the Ohio Bobcats, too - he's bound by the whole step-dad thing.) He's a great cook and makes the best pasta salad and baked steak in the world - seriously! Mom is a Home & Garden Party/antique addict, so you never know whether the chair in the corner is for real or just decoration. The last time I visited, she'd added a 11 ft. barn ladder in the dining room as decoration.  There it was, leaned against the wall, and I'm like... "where does that go to?" She also has a collection of antique pitch forks, scythes, and other "items" that look like they came straight off the set of SAW, which she has managed to stylishly arrange in a fabulous wall grouping.  My future children are going to have to be really careful at grandma's house!

The one thing I like about my brother and his wife most is how cool they are when we visit.  We only see each other a few times a year, but there's never a big production about how long it's been since we've seen each other, or a big hug and sob fest goodbye when we part ways. We pick up right where we left off before, and it feels like we haven't seen each other in 6 days, rather than 6 months.  Hellos and goodbyes can make me uncomfortable if there's a lot of emotion involved, but i never have to worry about that with those two - they're just cool about things.  

Last but definitely not least is my husband.  You read enough about him to know what he's up to, but let's just say this - for one of those reading/writing/researching "professor types", he's really too cool for school.  He's not what you expect - certainly not like the English professor you may have had in college, or the sleazy ones you see in movies.  He's a stylin' little dude who has fun taste in music and movies, and probably spends too much time playing and not enough time being "scholarly" by most academics' standards. He's just plain "neat", and I'm just plain lucky. 

L-R: Grandpa L and Grandma J, F-in-Law, M-in-Law, Claire the cat, Sassy-in-Law, Charlie the kitten,
Husband, Diego the cat, Stephanie, Mom, Mac the cat, Tootsie the cat, Step-dad, Brother, sister-in-law, their cats.
All of us love the Marshall Thundering Herd; APPARENTLY WE ARE ALL CAT PEOPLE.

Tomorrow's the last day of my "I'm Thankful for" series; be sure to swing by before you fall into a Turkey Coma!

post signature

10 comments:

Brittany said...

You are far too cute for words! I love how much you love your family! The way you phrase things makes me laugh. Esp about your moms decorating :)

Faith said...

hahaha, you make me laugh! i love how you call your husband a stylin' little dude! :)

Happy Thanksgiving! Your family sounds like an incredible bunch of people!

Faith said...

p.s. i don't trust people who aren't cat people. just saying.

dating diva said...

Happy almost Thanksgiving! Hope you have a great day with the family!

xx,
Delilah

Rebekah said...

What a great family! They sound like wonderful people to be around. Haha, your mom's house sounds too funny.

I love that you all have cats!

Amanda said...

That is a super cute stick people family :)

I have grandparents like that too--such wonderful people!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love your little stick figure demonstrations! Have a great time with family and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Jessica said...

Your posts are ALWAYS so cute! I love the little stick people and the cat!

Heather said...

Family are the best and it sounds like your family is awesome!!

Kerri said...

Okay, your little stick family is too CUTE for words!